This article may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase following our links won’t cost you extra, but we may earn a commission. Learn more
Are you going to buy a circular saw for your running or next project? But confused about choosing which one will fit with your purpose? Then you are in the right place to get a clear idea with a view before purchasing a new circular saw trending on the market today.
It’s crucial to know some facts before buying a circular saw for beginners. The reason is, if you choose the wrong one, it can give you a severe injury or cause an accident.
So the following guide will help you to choose the right circular saw for you.
Our Top Picks at a Glance
||See on Amazon|
||See on Amazon|
||See on Amazon|
||See on Amazon|
||See on Amazon|
Things You Should Know Before Choosing a Circular Saw for Beginners
The reciprocating saw and circular saw are ideal tools for woodworking projects, and both tools are arsenal. As a beginner, if you have the option to choose one, you must consider many elements before purchasing because not all models are suitable for you from the beginning. We are trying to help you to choose the perfect one to make your work easier. So we suggest you read these circular saw guidelines below before jumping off to buy a new one.
Cordless or Corded Circular Saw?
It’s a common query for buying a circular saw because both corded and cordless have some pros and cons. Obviously, corded circular saws have more cutting power than cordless ones as it needs more power supply when it’s on work at full strength.
On the other hand, a cordless circular saw is much more convenient to work freely without thinking about cord range from plugboard. But the disadvantages are that a cordless circular saw is much more expensive than a corded saw, and the battery needs to change every 3-5 years, which is costly.
Enough Spinning Power
The power and the cutting capacity are related to each other because the better power the saw has, the more robust the cutting capacity will have. For example, a 15.8 amp rated motor has ten times stronger and better speed than a 14.5 amp motor.
Power is the most important thing to consider when buying a new one.
Read more: Find Perfect Petrol Cut-off Saws
Lightweight and Portability
The circular saw’s lightness gives the accuracy of the cutting product as the lightweight saw was made with magnesium.
Moreover, it is durable and robust because it’s rust-proof. Because of its lightweight, it balanced comfortably on the edges of the material that’s cut.
Blade Length and Speed
Different types of blades are available in the market, but the size and diameter can determine which material will be cut. Any type of steel, wood, plastic, and so on can be cut within a second with the motor power and perfect blade size.
The most available and standard blades are 6 ½ inches and 7 ¼ inches. Both can cut 2x material in a single pass. It would be best if you had a 10 ¼ inches blade. To select the perfect blade for your saw is to check the maximum depth of cut at 90º and 45º.
You are good to go with your circular saw blade when it can cut your desired intensity.
There are also available combinational blades which are most commonly used in a circular saw. Because of the multipurpose used. If you are still confused, then start with that blade, which can cut 2X and 4X materials.
Adjustable Depth Cutting
Adjusting your depth cutting is the essential part, whichever saw you have. When you purchase a saw make sure it will give your needle depth cut and be raised and lowered.
Bevel capacity is able to give the maximum bevel cut or angle the circular saw can make. Bevel ensures quick adjustment for any bevel cuts.
Handle Types and Materials
The most comfortable circular saw is one that has a long soft handle with a grip. The grip is the most crucial factor to consider when buying a circular saw because losing your grip can cause a severe accident when operating the saw losing your grip.
Rubber grip handles are perfect to use. Rubber-made handles have less chance of slipping the position, which is also comfortable to handle.
The place of the handle is another essential factor to consider. Some handles are located at the top of the saw, and others fit below the appliance. Both are easy to grip.
The first safety feature of a perfect circular saw is a protective guard specially made of magnesium. It can save you from any major accident.
The blade of a circular saw is very sharp, and when it rotates at high speed, it’s dangerous to run without a protective guard. A protective guard stops you from slipping and reminds you of the distance between your hands and the blade.
The second safety feature is an electric brake that automatically stops the blade in any unforeseen situation. Before using a Circular saw, always wear protective gear as a precaution.
Circular saws are made of different materials, sizes, and heights to cut different surfaces, so the moving process must be accessible and user-friendly. Complicated operating options can make the work harder.
To make a straight and decent cut, the person needs to rely on a comfortable saw. A secure grip, lightweight, heavy power, and sharp blade create a user-friendly atmosphere in the circular saw case.
How to Use a Circular Saw
A circular saw can perform the same function as a table saw and miter saw, but as it is portable, sometimes it is called a “Circ Saw.”
You can find more than a dozen circ saw models in the market, although each saw is different from another and has to learn in its term. But the standard using guidelines we can give you. But just be honest, always wear the precautions to avoid a severe accident.
Here are the following steps you can follow for making a typical crosscut, let’s say –
to reduce the length of an 8-foot board to 92-5/8 inches (a standard framing length), you should-
(a) Make a cross mark at 92-5/8 inches from whichever end of the board you decide is comfortable for you.
(b) To use a ‘Speed Square’ or some other square, first draw a pencil line at that cross mark over the board, vertical to its length. This line has to follow to cut the piece.
(c) Making sure the wood will not bind the blade because sometimes the entire saw unexpectedly tries to move backward when something has decided to stop the edge from turning—this is called ‘kickback.’
(d) Place the saw on the upper part of the wood so that the lower plate is. The lower plate is big, called the “Foot”, a flat rectangle of aluminum or other metal below which the blade sticks out.
(e) Operate the saw left or right till the blade lines up with the cut line you marked.
(f) Make sure the blade isn’t quite touching wood yet and pull the trigger.
(g) Push the saw towards the wood till it grips in, then keep pushing straight ahead till the cut is made.
Here is an excellent piece of cutting wood you made by following these steps. But always remember to-
- Wear safety goggles and gloves before starting;
- Control the saw body;
- Trigger Perfectly;
- Measure Cutting depth;
- Understand Cutting Angle;
- Always use the Blade guard;
- Should have a Shaft lock option to prevent accidents.
How Do You Get the Perfect Straight Cut With a Circular Saw?
For getting an accurate straight cut, you have to use a circular saw guide rail. Because of this, the cutting tool is ideal for this job. They are so much helpful and provide various types of cuts with their major flaw.
When you want an accurate cut with a saw, you have to do a lot of practice or a steady hand. That is so difficult. And also have chances to make mistakes or slip the hand.
That’s why a circular saw track system or circular saw guide rail is the perfect choice for getting a straight cut. When you install it on your project, that helps you to make ultra-precise cuts quickly.
Why Need to Maintenance And Cleaning a Circular Saw
If you take good maintenance of any type of tools, that will give you longer service. The circular saw is pretty simple to maintain and clean up. As a beginner user, you have to know the proper way to maintain the procedure. This circular blade and body should be cleaned up regularly.
Ways to Maintaining a Circular Saw
- First, disconnect your saw’s power and make sure the power connection is free of flaws.
- Take a look at all the moving parts to ensure they are not obstructed.
- Ensure all the screws are tight before operating.
- Check the lower guard properly.
- Take care of its handle.
- Keep the blade clean and sharp.
Ways to Clean a Circular Saw
- All the parts are separated safely.
- Carefully sharpen your saw blade.
- Put the blade in a cleaning solution for a few minutes.
- Sharp blade teeth with a brash.
- Rinse it in the water.
- Before re-installing the saw, make sure all the parts will dry.
Why Need a Worm Drive Circular Saw
A worm drive saw is one kind of circular saw. It comes with a rear motor and gear features that give at 45-degree angles. A worm drive saw is a more substantial and heavier saw, but its durability ensures it lasts longer. You also can find a lightweight worm drive saw version, which is made of magnesium construction. You can use it to cut complex or dense pieces of wood. For doing a job faster and more efficiently, it is an ideal option.
Are Cordless Circular Saws Worth It?
A cordless buzzsaw is beneficial.
For DIY work, it should be one of the simplest hand tools you ought to consider. Also, if you’re a knowledgeable tradesperson, you would like the tool. With a buzz saw, you’ll cut plywood for your needs, including for roof or bookcase, or lumber for framing; you’ll cut them with ease.
Do I Want a Circular Saw?
Generally, if your project involves tons of trimming, then get a Miter saw. Conversely, if you’re getting to do rip-cuts or cut plywood, then a buzz saw is what you would like. However, the selection isn’t that easy.
See Our Selected 10 Circular Saws Reviews
1. DEWALT (DCS391B) 6-1/2-Inch 20V Max Circular Saw
- Power tool type: Cordless saw;
- Speed: 5150 rpm;
- Bevel capacity: 0 to 50 degrees;
- Weight: 7.1 pounds;
- Blade Length: 6.5 inches.
If someone asks me which circular saw is the handiest, I will give ten on 10 to the Dewalt DCS391B 6-½ inch circular saw. It provides the most potent speed that can cut any material. High-strength and lightweight magnesium shoes give an accurate cut without arm weariness, mainly when working on long-cutting jobs.
An optimized rubber over-molded support grip delivers optimal balance and curb. If anyone wants aggressive bevel cuts in any material, then 0 degree-50 degree bevel capacity can do this.
This saw comes with a 6 1/2 inches carbide tipped blade with a no-load speed of 5150 rpm, which can cut 2x material at 90 degrees and a 45-degree angle. It operates with a single battery, but it does the work of a heavy-duty skill saw. The lithium-Ion battery lasts a long, which you can find at any time in the market because it is sold separately.
The high-quality brake stops instantly when the trigger is released which prevents you from a severe accident.
- The saw comes with a powerful 460 MWO, 5,150 RPM motor.
- Lightweight and high-strength magnesium shoes give accuracy in work.
- The 0-50°(degree) bevel capacity allows aggressive bevel cuts.
- Comes with a 6-1/2″ carbide tipped blade for cutting 2x material.
- Little more expensive than the other models.
- Saw shoes can be unreliable at times.
2. Makita 5007MGA 7-1/4″ Magnesium Circular Saw for Beginners
- Power tool type: Corded;
- Speed: 5800 rpm;
- In-built: Twin L.E.D lights;
- Weight: 17.9 pounds;
- Blade Length: 7-1/4-Inch.
Makita 5007MGA saw comes with an electric brake feature, which is highly durable magnesium elements, and a sturdy 15 AMP motor that delivers 5,800 RPM. The built-in sawdust blower clears the line when you cut to get a more perfect and explicit cut. The twin L.E.D lights provide a clear view of the blade and measurement scale when cutting the edge.
It’s prevalent among professionals for its balanced weight, power, stability, and ease to use on different surfaces like framing walls, floors, roofs, ripping panels such as plywood, particleboard, and dense structural panels.
The saw has an extensive cutting range (2-1/2 inches at 90°) with the highest bevel capacity of 56° and positive stops at 22.5° and 45° for fast back-and-forth moves.
This saw provides a better grip and vast space for those who use gloves or have larger hands. It also has significant rubberized levels, which helps to adjust the saw in one -hand quickly.
The premium 7 1/4 inches ultra coated framing blade with an advanced ‘M’ shape tooth design with a two-point tip and two 10° bevel faces maximizes the cutting performance.
The magnesium saw purchased box includes a 24T carbide tipped framing blade, hex blade wrench, rip fence, and tool case.
- Comes with 15 AMP, 5,800 RP motor with a tool case, blade, hex blade wrench, and a fence for rip cuts.
- Big rubberized levers allow adjustments with one hand to save you time.
- A dust blower and two LED lights increase visibility for exact cuts.
- Twenty-four ‘M’ shaped tooth carbide-tipped blades are long-lasting.
- Electric brakes prevent any unwanted accidents and improve productivity.
- No grounding plug.
- Limited one-year warranty.
3. Dewalt (DCS577B) Flexvolt 60V Max Circular Saw
- Power tool type: Cordless;
- Speed: 5800 rpm;
- In-built: Dust Blower;
- Weight: 10.9 pounds;
- Max watts Out: 2400 wt;
- Blade Length: 7-1/4-Inch;
The Dewalt DCS577B flex volt circular saw is the latest item. It comes with some advanced features from the Dewalt dwe575sb and this fantastic tool for the right handler because this circular saw features optimized lines of sight with a left side blade. It has an integral dust blower that allows the user to see the path clearly while cutting.
The best feature of this saw is the 5800 RPM brushless motor that delivers cord power with cordless portability and benefit.
With an efficient brushless motor and a high-grade magnesium shoe, any surface can be cut smoothly. An electronic brake instantly stops the blade after the trigger is released, and the angle stops at 22.5, 45, and 53.
This framing saw cuts to a depth of 2 7/16 inches at 90° and 1-7/8 inches at 45°. It carries a rafter hook and onboard wrench storage for the convenience of changing blades.
Farmers, concrete formers, carpenters, and general contractors widely use this circular saw in various cutting applications. It has a long period of Limited warranty.
- Both cordless and corded options stop you from thinking about the power cord;
- Have an electronic brake to stop the blade after using it.
- To ensure safe operation, it has a protective safety guard covering the edge.
- Have a long-life rechargeable battery.
- It cannot be used in oily and wet material.
- Shoe friction is costlier than most competing saws.
4. Skilsaw SPT67M8-01 15 Amp Sidewinder Circular Saw
- Power tool type: Corded;
- Motor:15 Amp Dual-Field;
- In-built: Left blade sidewinder;
- Weight: 10.6 pounds;
- Max watts Out: 1800 W.;
- Blade Length: 7-1/4-Inches.
Skilsaw Southpaw SPT67M8 is a well-designed and reliable tool. The powerful 15 Amp motor is turning at 5300 RPM to deliver a set and quality cut, which is excellent for professional use. It helps to reduce user fatigue because of its lightweight magnesium body.
It’s a left-blade saw, not left-handed. So as your blade is located on the left, it can increase accuracy and extend the 56-degree bevel to add capacity for a wider variety of cuts. It has an on-tool multi-function wrench for a blade.
It has a powerful Dual-Field Motor that increases cooling and extends the life of the saw, plus the ergonomic handle provides a comfortable soft grip for both left and right-handed users.
This 7-1/4 inches 24-tooth carbide SKILSAW blade has a max cutting capacity of 2-7/16 inches at 90° and 1-7/8 inches at 45°. The saw has a maximum 56° bevel capacity stressing a positive stop at 0° and 45°.
- Has a powerful dual-field motor but a lightweight design;
- Easy to use for its soft grip and ergonomic handle.
- Left blade sidewinder.
- Best-in-class torque in the extended 56-degree bevel.
- On purchase, no battery is included.
- Need lubricant to smooth the gear of the saw.
5. Metabo (C18DBALQ4) HPT Cordless Circular Saw
- Power tool type: Cordless;
- Speed: No-load speed of 4, 100 RPM;
- Weight: 7.98 pounds;
- Bevel capacity: 5 degrees to 45 degrees;
- Blade Length: 6-1/2 inches 24T saw blade.
For those who have Hitachi cordless tools and need a circular saw to round out an existing set, then this saw is a perfect match for you. Hitachi has now become Metabo HPT, and most of the Hitachi batteries work with this saw. This is the most lightweight, compact, and powerful cordless circular saw on the market.
This circular saw features a built-in light with an electric brake, and the brushless motor is capable of generating a no-load speed of 4,100 RPM. The engine has a quiet auto mode setting, enabling the saw to work efficiently in less noise. Additionally, when the load increases during the silent mode, it automatically shifts over to ‘Power mode.’
The overload protection system automatically cuts off the motor power when it’s overloaded to protect the user and the tool’s battery from accidents and damage. Also, to reduce the kickback on startup, there is a soft start option and an electric brake.
The 18V brushless lithium-ion saw with a 6-1/2″ blade can be 2-19/32″ cutting depth with a similar cut capacity as a 7-1/4″ saw.
It weighs only 6. 8 lbs, and with a balanced center, the design is one of the most lightweight and sturdy cordless circular saws on the market. It is covered by Metabo HPT’s lifetime lithium ion tool warranty.
- Have an overload protection system to reduce accidents.
- Less weight provides the right balance.
- Have a cordless and corded option.
- Have a quiet auto mode setting.
- Hitachi batteries can work on it.
- The second handle is too small and too close to the main handle.
- No Laser light option is available.
6. Makita 5377MG 7-1/4″ Magnesium Hypoid Saw for Beginners
- Power tool type: Cordless;
- Motor: Powerful 15amp;
- Speed: 4, 500 RPM;
- Weight: 13.2 pounds;
- Bevel capacity: 0 degrees to 51.5 degrees;
- Blade Length: 7-1/4″ 24T ultra-coated.
The Makita 5377MG 7-1/4″ magnesium circular saw has a powerful 15 AMP motor with a hypoid gearing system for the highest power output that delivers 4,500 RPM. This lighter-weight saw has reliable magnesium components that are maintenance-free and provide more constant power.
Hypoid gears pass more energy over a complete surface, providing increased strength and durability. Besides, hypoid gears are sealed in an oil bath, so they never need maintenance.
The saw has a large cutting capacity of 2-3/8 inches at 90° with a maximum bevel capacity of 51.5° and positive stops at 22.5°, 45° and 51.5° for quick back-and-forth changes.
The wider space between the rear handle and the blade case gives a better grip for larger hands or gloves when minimizing operator fatigue. It also provides a more unobstructed view of the blade and measurement scale. The broad rubberized levers offer quick one-handed adjustments for more productive work.
This tool has a 7-1/4-inch premium ultra-coated framing blade, which reduces heat with an advanced ‘M’ shaped tooth design that features a two-pointed tip and two 10° bevel faces to maximize cutting performance.
Overall, this circular saw is seamlessly balanced weight, sturdy, durable, and easy to use to maximize cutting performance.
- Need less maintenance because of hypoid gears sealed in an oil bath.
- Have quick back-and-forth changes with different positive stops.
- Have more space between the handle and the blade.
- The blade is ultra-coated to reduce heat.
- More durable and lighter because of its magnesium component.
- There is a chance of a significant amount of kickback.
- Don’t have an inbuilt dust blower.
7. Metabo HPT 36V MultiVolt™ Cordless Circular Saw
- Power tool type: Battery Powered
- Capable of up to 220 cross-cuts per charge;
- Weight: 9.7 pounds;
- Cut capacity: 1-7/8-in at 45 degrees and 2-7/16-in at 90 degrees;
- Blade Length: 4 Inches;
- Safety: Electric brake.
As a beginner, if you are looking for a cordless circular saw with maximum power within a budget, then Metabo HPT is for you. Being cordless, it is incredibly convenient to use.
It is designed for the left-side blade position for smooth operation and has a soft handle with an excellent grip to improve its fatigue and comfort.
It is also designed with an electric brake to offer you safe operation when handling different tasks. The circular saw has a built-in spotlight on improving its visibility and cutting efficiency. The level of the tool is adjustable and gives a different degree of cut and increases versatility.
- Left side blade position for smooth operation.
- Electric brake for enhanced safety and accuracy.
- The built-in spotlight gives accuracy while cutting.
- Power with either a 36V Battery or AC Adapter.
- Don’t have a battery as a backup in areas with no power.
8. BLACK+DECKER 20 Volt Cordless Circular Saw, (BDCCS20B)
- Power tool type: Battery Powered;
- Features a 5-1/2-inch circular saw blade for a variety of cuts;
- Weight: 6 pounds;
- Bevel adjustment with detents at 45 and 90 degrees;
- Blade Length: 5.5 Inches;
- Safety: Magnesium guard on blade.
BLACK+DECKER circular saw is designed to reduce weight by using magnesium for upper and lower guards to make it lighter in weight.
This saw has a 5-1 / 2-inch quick-cutting edge. The metal-releasing circular saw considers simple depth changes considering the cutting depth with a machine.
You can adjust the angle by 45-degree and 90-degree. The saw comes with a 24-tooth carbide blade with an electronic brake. When you take your fingers off the trigger, the brake stops automatically.
Soft Grip Handle protects you from an accident in a wet environment.
- Battery and charger are sold separately;
- Compact design for ease of use;
- Soft handle and protective grip maximize user comfort.
- Rechargeable batteries give the full facility in areas that have no power.
- Durability gives the tool longevity.
- Bevel adjustment is a little bit hard.
9. Black+Decker (BDECS300C) Circular Saw for Beginners
- Power tool type: Corded;
- Motor: 13 amp;
- Inbuilt: Laserlight;
- Weight: 7 pounds;
- Blade Length: 7-1/4” circ;
- Easy to use: Spindle lock for easy blade changes.
The Black & Decker BDECS300C circular saw is ideal for most cutting applications. Its 13 amp maximum rotating speed motor of up to 5300 RPM and an added laser-cut line device assist the user in making precision cuts.
The lightweight design is easy and comfortable to use. It is manufactured in the USA and comes with a limited two-year warranty. The built-in laser light will ensure straight and accurate cuts.
It has a spindle lock that makes changing blades quick, safe, and secure while the angle and depth adjustments are easy to use. Bevel can adjust at different angles from 0-45 degrees.
The 7.25 inches blade is positioned on the right-hand side of the tool.
- Have a Spindle lock for smooth blade changes.
- Different angles can cut the highest deep cut.
- This tool is lightweight and easy to manage.
- Have built-in laser light.
- It has a limited warranty period.
- Uncomfortable to handle with gloves.
10. SKIL 5280-01 Circular Saw with Single Beam Laser Guide
- Power tool type: Corded Electric;
- Motor: 15 Amps copper;
- Speed: 5,300 RPM;
- Depth of cut at 2-3/8 in.;
- Weight: 8.7 pounds;
- Included 24-Tooth Carbide Blade, Wrench, and Carry Bag;
- Blade Length: 7.25 Inches;
- Safety: Double protection switch.
If you are looking for a modern sci-fi design with extraordinary strength, SKIL is for you. This circular saw is built with a single metal handle to reduce user fatigue of one-hand working. It’s easy to disassemble and install by rotating the handle without any auxiliary tool. A built-in laser guide assures a professional and precision cutting line.
A powerful 15 AMP copper motor can deliver 5,300 RPM to cut any material easily. The most attractive feature you will get is the blade option for different materials. Different blades of varying sizes and teeth can cut any surface easily.
The left positioned blade gives a clear view while cutting the angel freely from 0° to 45°. A parallel guide attachment ensures straight and accurate cuts efficiently.
An optimized ergonomic slim grip gives ease and less fatigue to one-handed operation. The double protection switch prevents the tool from a severe accident.
- The easy installation process by rotation handle without any auxiliary tool.
- The powerful 15 AMP copper motor is light and durable.
- Have a double protection switch as a safety.
- The left positioned blade with laser light gives a clear view while cutting.
- No cons.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Circular Saw Good for?
This saw is a useful workhorse and a helpful extension to DIYers’ tool bogies. Its most natural ability is to cut wood bits in an orderly fashion. Realizing its parts makes it easier to use a circular saw.
Which Size Circular Saw Is Most Commonly Known?
7 and 1/4 inches
The most well-known and helpful sizes for DIYers are 7 and 1/4 inches. It will be cut through material more than 3-inches thick and they offer the greatest assortment of edge decisions for cutting things other than wood.
Is a Skill Saw the Same as a Circular Saw?
A common question among DIY enthusiasts is whether a skill saw is the same as a circular saw. Understanding why skill saw is named differently than a circular saw helps clarify the distinction. While both tools are used for cutting wood, a skill saw is actually a specific brand of circular saw. So, in short, a skill saw is a type of circular saw.
What Size Circular Saw Will Cut a 4×4?
The most effective way to cut a 4 × 4 post is to use a 12-inch miter saw, a 10-inch radial arm saw, two of which can be cut completely through a single post at a pass, or a standard round saw that can. . Make the right cut on two passes with a simple jig.
Which Size Circular Saw Do I Really Want?
One of the most compelling things you should pay special attention to when choosing a circular saw is cutting the boundary, cutting the depth, and the slope. The extent and depth of your cutting with a circular saw depend on the size of the cutting edge of the saw. Due to our cordless circular saw, the sharp edge is a standard 165mm.
To sum up, we know it’s quite difficult to choose a perfect tool when you have several options available in the market. But considering your budget, design preference and purpose of using the tool can help you to choose the right product for you.
We have listed the best popular circular saws for you as a beginner to help you to choose the best one that suits your purpose and choice.
You Might Also Like:
- Random Orbital Sanders for Woodworking
- Finding the Best Nailers for Siding
- Nail Guns for Hardie Trim You Can Buy
About This Writer
Hello, I am David Rowan. I am a professional contractor with 10 years of experience in home building, different tools used, construction, home remodeling, and other home improvement work. I have already built many custom homes and continued to do several woodworking projects along with how to deal with all categories of tools.