Depending on the volume of work and usage, a chainsaw can be a great scope of investment if you require a frequent amount of use. So, if you are planning on buying one to use for home or work, follow along to find our top picks.
Things to Consider Before Choosing a Chainsaw for Milling Lumber
Obviously, this should be at the top of the list. We are looking at processing with a chainsaw and it is absolutely impossible that a mid-range chainsaw can capture the part. You want some real gas-powered power to handle those hardwood accessories.
As a rule, chainsaws with more than 50cc power and 2HP engine power are capable of handling the process. As can be seen, we have similarly achieved significantly more engine power than this.
The internal combustion chainsaw in the real sense has a terrible position which is extremely problematic. So after what you are going to get you to want to invest some strong support power.
There are mechanical cycles that deal with it. As an example, there are various air cleaning frameworks, air channels, and more that will reduce your maintenance work.
Chain and Bar Length
It is, moreover, an overall composition that is fundamental to processing. Since you just don’t adhere to those 1 to 5-inch wooden appendages, you really want to approach it in a serious way. There are models with 20-inch chains and bars, and models with longer edges (27 inches). In light of the workpieces you are managing, you should make your decision.
All things considered, clearly, you ought to be pretty much as protected as conceivable from these dangerous machines. Luckily, brands are probably going to give a couple of security highlights in the chainsaws. It incorporates watches, payoff avoidance frameworks, and so on
Safety Precautions Should Take When Using a Chainsaw for Milling Lumber
When using a chainsaw for milling lumber, it is important to take several safety precautions to protect yourself and those around you. These include:
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment, including eye and ear protection, a hard hat, gloves, and sturdy boots.
- Make sure the chainsaw is in good working condition and properly sharpened before using it.
- Always keep a firm grip on the chainsaw with both hands and maintain good balance while using it.
- Use a steady, controlled motion when cutting, and avoid overreaching or twisting your body.
- Be aware of your surroundings and keep a safe distance from others while cutting.
- Always be ready for kickbacks, which occur when the chain on the saw is suddenly thrust back toward the operator. This can be dangerous, so always use a chainsaw with a chain brake or a tip guard to reduce the risk of injury.
- Keep in mind that chainsaws can be dangerous tools, so always use them with caution and respect.
- Never use a chainsaw while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Always read the manufacturer’s instructions and safety warnings before using a chainsaw.
- Lastly, if you are not experienced with using a chainsaw, consider hiring a professional to mill your lumber instead.
Top 7 Chainsaws for Milling Lumber Reviews
1. Husqvarna 18-inch 460 Rancher Chainsaw
- Weight: 12.8 pounds;
- Dimensions: 29 x 11 x 13 pounds;
- Power output: 3.62 hp;
- Maximum speed: 9000 rpm;
- Fuel tank volume: 0.9 us pint;
- Oil tank volume: 0.7 us pint;
A brand having a good rapport of manufacturing some of the well-performing outdoor equipment, these 460 ranchers by Husqvarna is one of our top picks for the best chainsaw. Besides being easy to handle, this is also a great one with sophisticated safety features and versatility for various sorts of domestic use.
This has an x-torque engine that allows you to have one the most fuel-efficient performance ever. This also has a reduced number of emissions compared to most other counterparts available in the market. However, that energy-saving bonus does not compromise performance. You get a mighty 3.62 horsepower of output with 3.68 cubic-inch displacements. Besides that, it uses a smart start design in its engine, which as the name suggests, makes the 460 very quick to start.
Aside from having a good engine, this incorporates an air injection system to remove dust particles and clean the filter, lowvib- which reduces the vibration to its minimal level, and a three-piece crankshaft that ensures durability and endurance of rough usage.
- Easy to start;
- Top-notch safety features;
- Powerful motor;
- Adjustable oil pump;
- Quick-release air filter;
- Inertia-activated chain brake;
- Side-mounted chain tensioner;
- Efficient front handle ergonomics.
- The long bar makes it difficult to handle;
2. Remington RM4214CS Gas Powered Chainsaw
- Weight: 15.22 pounds;
- Dimensions: 27.5 x 9.75 x 11.25 inches;
- Power Source: Gas Powered.
remington rm4216 is a great chainsaw if you are looking for a tool to use every day. This enforces just enough power to make it appropriate for professional or amateur users. Thus, it is a great tool to keep at home.
Although a heavy tool, this one is a balanced weight to smoothly work with. So, it does not put a strain on you while you work with it. You might need to get adjusted to the weight if you’re a beginner, but won’t be a problem at all if you are used to the weights. Besides, the safety measures of this tool are very satisfactory as well.
All in all, we consider it to be a great tool to invest in no matter which level of expertise you are on. This is a good chainsaw that is a good accompaniment whether you are a pro or a beginner.
- QuickStart technology;
- Automatic oiler;
- Ease of operation;
- Easy to maintain;
- Comfortable grip;
- Beginner-friendly, as well as suited for professionals;
- Low vibration.
- Leaks excess oil while being in storage;
- Slow performance at times for heavier jobs.
3. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
- Weight: 12.8 pounds;
- Dimensions: 20 x 9.5 x 41 inches;
- Power output: 3.5 horsepower;
- Speed: 9000 rpm.
Here we pick this Husqvarna 455 rancher that is one of the best tools that money can buy. This gem of a chainsaw deploys the most efficient engine that gives you the best experience of working with a chainsaw. This is a powerful 55.5 cc motor that cuts down a tree faster than any other machine.
On top of that, this gives you a mighty 9000 rpm with a horsepower of 3.49. Needless to say, this powerful motor is going to make your life easy with its efficient cuts and save you a lot of time with easy operation.
This has a solid chain catcher that guards your chain against causing any sort of fatal accidents. Besides that, the inertia-activated brakes do a great job of preventing kickbacks if you pull the trigger by mistake.
- Inertia-activated chain brake;
- Automatic chain oiler;
- Side-mounted chain tensioning system;
- Great investment;
- Solid build;
- Impressive vibration-dampening technology;
- Top-notch cutting.
- Leans on the noisier side;
- Small fuel tank.
4. Makita XCU04PT Chainsaw Kit
- Weight: 18.56 pounds;
- Dimensions: 10.2 x 21.9 x 10.2 inches;
- Power source: lithium-ion batteries.
If you are looking for a lightweight, easy-to-maneuver tool that is ideal for brisk light operation, this Makita xcu04pt might be the perfectly balanced tool that you might need. This is a well-constructed machine that effortlessly helps you to chop down timber.
- Tool-free chain adjustment;
- Led on/off switch;
- The chain comes in different packaging and it is difficult to arrange;
- The thumb-controlled tension wheel is a little difficult to move at first.
5. Milwaukee – M18 FUEL 16″ Chainsaw Kit
- Weight: 21 pounds;
- Dimensions: 10 x 36 x 11 inches;
- Power source: battery powered;
- Speed: 6600 rpm;
- Power source: cordless.
Milwaukee 2727 deploys a brushless motor which yields a powerful motor performance. There is a copper winding attached to it that ensures potent power output, even more, if you manage to support it with some added batteries.
This will enforce a slow ascension of speed when you trigger the power. But once it reaches full power, this will result in an impressive repetition of 6600 times per minute. Which is a great speed if you compare it to most other chainsaws.
Another highlight feature of this chainsaw is that it uses lithium-ion batteries. Aside from its electric cords, this set of brand’s new m18 HD 12.0 battery packs gives the machine a mighty boost of power.
The most attractive feature of this Milwaukee 2727 is that it deploys a redlink plus intelligence. This is an advanced electronic management system that is integrated and compatible with the battery and tool. With this system, your chainsaw maintains smooth communication between the battery and charger. As a result, the machine works efficiently and with better overload protection.
- 5-year warranty;
- Lesser noise compared to the other brands or models;
- Rapid charging.
- The tool is effective only as long as the battery works fine. Thus, it is a problem when the battery dies off.
6. Echo CS-590 20-inch Timber Wolf
- Dimensions: 20 x 13 x 11 inches;
- Power source: gas.
We picked this echo cs-590 for the brand’s consistent image of manufacturing quality chainsaws with decent value. This delivers you professional-grade performance without any hassle. This easy-to-use machine has a capacity of 59.8 ccs and has a translucent fuel tank that allows you to check the fuel level with ease. It uses digital ignition that provides smooth firing of the chainsaw and
The chain brake is inertia and handguard operated. This gives you protection against any sort of shock or kickback. The air shutter prevents trouble against the winter carburetor. Besides that, the heavy-duty anti-vibration system ensures the minimum vibration at the handle, so that you can handle the machine without any fuss.
The decompression device of the chainsaw diminishes the amount of compression force inside the cylinder. This makes it easier for you to pull the recoil cord and start the ignition.
As for maintenance, it needs the basic cleanup necessary for chainsaws to keep away the sawdust and build-ups around the oiler. Besides that, it will require some other cleanup and maintenance as well and the user manual will guide you more on that.
- Easy to start;
- Excellent build;
- Low maintenance;
- The effective vibration-dampening system;
- 5-year warranty;
- Efficient customer support;
- Safety tips for beginner-level users;
- Powerful engine.
- Very few instances of trouble in starting;
- The scabbard in newer models is of poor quality.
7. Poulan Pro-20-inch Gas Chainsaw PR5020
- Weight: 17 pounds;
- Dimensions: 12 x 16 x 11.8 inches;
- Power source: gas.
The largest chainsaw manufactured by Poulan, this pr5020 is a powerful one with a 50 cc engine displacement. This powerful engine enables the machine to work any heavy-duty loads that will be suitable for any sort of domestic or commercial use. It has a 20-inch bar and chain so that you can easily handle the heavier timber works. Besides that, it does not create too much mess, making it easier for you to clean up after work.
Another great feature of this machine is its patented oxy-power engine design. Because of this design, fuel emission is reduced by up to 70% and at the same time, it uses 20% less fuel than most of the other machines.
Poulan pro-pr5020 is a powerful chainsaw to get your woodwork done at home with minimum effort and maintenance. It is affordable, easy to use, and maintain. So, it can be a perfect fit for your home if you are looking for a chainsaw to do exactly that.
- Extra power on the engine (oxy power engine);
- Smooth and effortless cuts;
- Fast starting benefit;
- 3-year warranty.
- Flexible bars; however, can be changed if needed;
- Ignition modules might show issues. But the good news is that your warranty covers this.
Why Use a Chainsaw for Milling?
The milling allows you to slice your sheets to guess and this is nothing more than a hassle assignment with a smidgen of training. However, the main ability to add to your archive is the consensual use of a chainsaw to take advantage of your work.
What Is the Best Size for a Chainsaw to Keep at Home?
Usually, for most of the works for household purposes, a good 16 or 18-inch chainsaw works pretty fine.
Are Battery-powered Chainsaws Better Than Electric or Fuel-powered Ones?
We cannot say that the works battery-powered ones are better because the performance varies a lot from brand to brand or model to model. But these are definitely safer if you are going to be using the saw to cut something up at height.
Finding the right chainsaw for your specifications might not sound easy. But if you stick to your requirements first and keep on looking for the products to fit those criteria, you will find the ideal tool for your home or work. Besides that, ensure that the machine provides you with top-notch safety features.
About This Writer
Hello, I am David Rowan. I am a professional contractor with 10 years of experience in home building, different tools used, construction, home remodeling, and other home improvement work. I have already built many custom homes and continued to do several woodworking projects along with how to deal with all categories of tools.