Cordless power tools are becoming more and more popular. With this increase in popularity, we’re seeing newer and more powerful models being released on a regular basis. This means that manufacturers are releasing several sets of add-ons as well. Many people labor under the misapprehension that they absolutely need to buy the “correct” replacement battery as developed by the original manufacturer. These replacements are often expensive and don’t offer the battery life you would expect at such a high price point.
It’s time to face the facts: big brand name corporations are out to make a quick buck off of their customers. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that – a company’s main mission is to turn a profit, after all. However, because so many people remain uneducated about the benefits of buying off-brand battery replacements, major power tool companies are able to hike up their prices even further.
There is a silver lining. Companies like Dewalt are developing Dewalt replacement batteries that can compete with the original. In fact, Dewalt, in particular, is committed to manufacturing top quality batteries that last a good while and don’t cost the earth. You might assume that high-capacity replacement batteries are difficult to find but you’d be pleasantly surprised. Shopping online will greatly reduce the frustration you might feel trying to find them at your traditional retailer, and you’ll probably enjoy a discount if you buy directly from the manufacturer as well.
Benefits of Buying a Dewalt Replacement Battery Compared to an Official One
1. Cost savings: A Dewalt replacement battery can often be purchased at a much lower price than an official battery from Dewalt.
2. Quality: Dewalt replacement batteries are often made with higher-quality components than official Dewalt batteries, providing increased performance and durability.
3. Variety: You can often find a variety of sizes, capacities, and voltages in replacement batteries, giving you more options than an official Dewalt battery.
4. Availability: Replacement batteries are usually easier to find than official Dewalt batteries, so you don’t have to wait for a special order.
Potential Risks Associated With Using a Replacement Battery
1. Overheating: Replacement batteries can be of inferior quality or may not fit snugly in the device, leading to overheating and potentially damaging the device.
2. Short Circuit: Poorly made batteries can cause a short circuit, leading to damage to the device and potentially causing a fire.
3. Explosion: Faulty batteries have been known to explode, which can cause severe damage to the device and potentially harm anyone nearby.
4. Reduced Battery Life: Replacement batteries may not be as powerful as the original and may not last as long, leading to reduced battery life.
How to Choose the Right Replacement Battery for Dewalt Tools
There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to choosing the right replacement battery. Though, you’ll be pleased to know that Dewalt does offer a little more flexibility than other brands. Basically, it’s in your best interests to inform yourself about the various battery designs that are available, along with their performance, specifications, and special features.
First and foremost, you’re going to want to look at the voltage of the battery. This dictates how much power it can deliver at any particular point in time. The higher the voltage, the more powerful the tool. It’s a simple equation worth noting.
Different types of batteries will have different voltage capacities and because power tool batteries are made up of a cluster of individual cells, you can expect varying numbers of cells depending on the voltage of the replacement battery as well. Lithium-Ion batteries, for example, only deliver a maximum of 4.2v per cell. So, if you have an 18v cordless drill, you can expect the Li-Ion battery to have at least 4 individual battery cells.
NiCd batteries have a cell voltage of around 1,2v whereas NiMH batteries have a maximum cell voltage of 1,6v. Clusters of these battery cells wouldn’t be able to handle a particularly powerful cordless tool. All in all, you’re better off choosing Li-Ion batteries for your more heavy duty power tools.
The capacity of the replacement battery is the second most important feature you’ll want to focus on. This indicates the amount of time it will last in between charges. Capacity is always expressed in Ah or “amperage of hours”. The higher the number of Ah, the longer the runtime.
Additionally, you’re going to want to keep an eye out for the overall life of the battery. This will be expressed as the number of charge cycles it is able to withstand before it loses its charge capacity. A rechargeable battery won’t last forever. Much like everything else, it does have a lifespan. Keep an eye out for this before making a purchase. You’ll probably find that Dewalt battery replacements have a fairly long lifecycle, simply because the manufacturer is intensely focused on providing a good quality product.
A Dewalt replacement battery will be designed in such a way that you won’t need to choose between a long life cycle or a long run time. That’s certainly saying something, as you won’t need to make any unnecessary sacrifices when making your purchase.
In the end, if you’re looking to buy a battery for your cordless power tools, you’ll be more than satisfied with a Dewalt replacement battery.
You Might Also Like:
About This Writer
Hi, I am responsible for the 'Homeowners Power Solutions' category. My name is Liam Jaxon and a licensed technician with 7 years of experience in vehicle batteries, electrical gadgets, and home appliances. My working experience in different residential & light commercial electrical sectors and the automobile industry helped to acquire vast knowledge in this industry.