This article may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase following our links won’t cost you extra, but we may earn a commission. Learn more
A rivet gun or pneumatic hammer is not a tool that is only confined to construction, carpentry, fabrication workshops, or automotive repair. Instead, it is a special kind that can handle any specific task, from auto mechanics to the making of footwear and accessories and seasoned DIYers.
To install joints through a metal wall, the motherboard of a computer, the buckle on a belt, repairing different components in the house, everything is connected by rivets. And here in these various scenarios, the top rivet gun is the one that can handle any tough job to do quickly.
Since the riveter is available in so many sizes and structures, picking the right product for your particular tasks is not easy unless you are wholly versed and experienced in what they offer. That’s why to reach for your trusty rivet gun; we brought you this article to solve all your problems by helping you choose the best riveter for your own needs.
Our Top Picks at a Glance
Marson 39000 HP-2 Hand Riveter
||See on Amazon|
Sunex SX1819T Rivet Gun
||See on Amazon|
Enegitech 18V Lithium-ion Automatic Cordless Rivet Gun
||See on Amazon|
Astro Pneumatic Tool PR14 Rivet Gun
||See on Amazon|
Dorman (743-100) Rivet Gun
||See on Amazon|
What Is A Rivet Gun?
A rivet gun is a tool that helps to fasten two pieces of the same or different material together by using a third piece–the rivet without adhesives or welding. This resilient strength of riveted joints works like a nail or screw.
This is the must-have tool that doesn’t require any particular skill or instrument and is widely used in any industry, such as automotive, aerospace, furniture, construction, etc. Also known as a pneumatic hammer or tool and riveter.
Things to Know Before Choosing A Rivet Gun
Types of Rivet Guns
There are multiple types of rivet guns available today, but they all serve different purposes depending on their role. The most popular types of rivet guns-
This rivet gun requires only one blow to compress air pressure to function and produce pneumatic power. This one provides very accurate attachments and delivers a comfortable experience. Read more: Nail Guns for Trim Work
This one requires only one hand and only one strike to install rivets. It comes in a small design, and it tends to handle small projects or configurations.
It is the most popular riveter for enthusiasts and beginners because of its gears and hand-powered mechanism to function. Without hammering or using air pressure, these hand-powered pop rivet guns use a lever and squeeze technique to install rivets.
With heavy-duty lever rivet guns, you can use both a more comprehensive range of rivet sizes and nose pieces. It works by pushing both levers action down on each side instead of handles, so you don’t have to use a lot of physical strength. They are user-friendly, effortless to use, and come in different sizes to easily install blind rivets on many job sites for different results and applications.
Read more: Automotive HVLP Spray Guns for the Money
When buying the right rivet gun for yourself, there are still certain features you need to consider.
The rivet gun’s material is an essential part of a rivet because it highlights durability, sustainability for extended periods, and reliability. Some rivet guns are made of iron because they are very durable, robust, and light enough without losing any strength but are more massive than a steel riveter.
When you have to use a rivet gun for long periods, then an aluminum riveter is the best because it is strong, corrosion-resistant, lightweight, and comfortable to use without causing hand fatigue but may not be the best when it comes to durability. That’s why we recommend and highlight heat-treated carbon steel rivet guns that enhance sustainability.
Compatibility with Rivets
There are several rivet shapes and sizes out there to do specific work, so it is essential to select a rivet gun compatible with the pins you will be installing. Most riveters are designed in such a way that they can offer compatibility with most possible sizes of rivets, but some don’t. So before making the purchase go for the most versatile ones.
Ease of Use
The ease of using this type of equipment plays an essential role in getting the best riveting results. The best rivet gun is something that can change the mandrels quickly to get it done as soon as possible and require the least amount of effort in getting the desired result.
Read more: Dripless Caulking Guns Compare and Reviews
View Our Recommended Top 10 Rivet Guns, Below
1. Marson 39000 HP-2 Professional Hand Riveter
- High-strength aluminum alloy body;
- Thick cushion-molded vinyl grips;
- 4 mounted nosepieces;
- Drip-forged carbon steel upper handle.
Marson 39000 hp-2 professional is a high-quality, professional, best-selling hand riveter gun from Marson. Its intimidating design and straightforward use make it useful, and steel long handles reinforce its strength and makes rivets’ popping very easy. You will mainly get comfortable handling and usage while working because of its thick cushion-molded vinyl grips.
With its four mounted nosepieces, you can cover popping aluminum and steel rivets from 3/32 inches to 3/16 inches and stainless-steel joints up to 5/32 inches. Most importantly, using this gun can prevent pin rotation because of its square shoulder fulcrum pin made out of cold-formed heat-treated steel, making inserting rivets easier. And also makes the user safe from hole elongation or premature tool failure.
- Highly reliable robust model;
- High-quality handle with comfortable grips;
- Good insertion mechanism;
- Includes service wrench;
- Square shoulder fulcrum pin prevents pin rotation;
- Suitable for aluminum rivets and stainless steel rivets.
- Doesn’t come with rivets.
2. Sunex SX1819T Heavy Duty Rivet Gun
- Pulling (traction) power of 3,960 lbs @ 90psi;
- Forged aluminum handle;
- Includes 3/16” and ¼” nose pieces;
- Air pressure: 70-100psi;
- 3/4-inch excellent stroke length;
- Spins to a full 360 degrees.
There is no doubt that the Sunex SX1819T is an excellent example of a heavy-duty rivet gun among all of the rivet guns in the market. This heavy-duty rivet gun can function and operate with conventional, structural blind rivets, mono bolts, trivets, and all structural blind rivets without considering the kind of material they are placed on. As long as the material diameters are between 3/16 inches and ¼ inches in length, they are right to work.
On top of that, this particular rivet gun’s traction power is 3,960 lbs at an air pressure of 90 pounds per square inch, which will allow it to rivet through any kind of materials like a beast such as aluminum, stainless steel, plastic, steel, etc.
The ergonomic design like ¾ inches stroke length, ¼ inches size air inlet,3/8 inches hose for compatibility and an anti-slip aluminum handle for easy triggering and comfortable grip. All these make it magnificent for both professional workplaces and home uses tasks on all materials.
3/16″ and ¼” nose pieces give you versatility and enable you to perform effectively in different scenarios by being stored conveniently at the rivet gun base for easy organization.
Moreover, blow-molded storage cases with carrying handles for convenient transport and storage.
- Well-built and powerful;
- Works great;
- Long-term durable;
- Designed for rivets in all type’s materials;
- Boasts efficient air consumption;
- Comfortable and anti-slip grip;
- Provides industry-leading power;
- Works with t-style rivets.
- Pricey than others.
3. Enegitech 18V Lithium-ion Automatic Cordless Rivet Gun
- Bl brushless motor;
- Stainless steel construction;
- Easy one-button operation;
- Variable speed trigger;
- Delivers torque up to 40nm/354in.lbs;
- Can set around 800 rivets;
- Has 4.0ah li-ion battery;
- Four pieces of steel teeth design.
Want to get both performance and power at work? Then this Enegitech 18v lithium-ion automatic cordless rivet gun will assure you in your career. The 18v bl brushless motor delivers monster torque up to 40nm/354in.lbs, which is four times faster than the hand riveter and makes it run cooler without any spark.
So you don’t have to replace the carbon brushes, and along with it, it also provides safety, convenience, and 50% more efficiency for longer life. Along with a 4.0ah Li-ion battery, it can pull up to 800 rivets.
Its intelligent one-button operation and variable speed trigger can be used on aluminum, copper, and stainless steel nails. For handling tough rivets, the Enegitech has an extensive variety of following nosepieces: 3/32-inch(2.4mm), 3/16-inch(4.8mm), 5/32-inch(4mm), 1/8-inch(3.2mm), which is easily suitable for rivets of different lengths up to 27mm working stroke.
- Powerful and versatile;
- Easy to carry;
- Automatic operation improves work efficiency;
- Has a variable speed;
- Forward and reverse buttons;
- Suitable to use on aluminum, copper, and stainless steel nails;
- Ideal with different nose pieces;
- Great at automotive and construction assembly work.
4. Astro Pneumatic Tool PR14 Air Riveter Gun
- Quick-release air valve;
- Performs well at any angle;
- Pulling pressure – 2423 pounds;
- Stainless steel construction;
- Comes with five different nose pieces.
Want to finish and tackle your big task job quickly or need to place hundreds of rivets in a single day? Then consider the Astro pneumatic tool pr14 air riveter gun. Its 2423 pounds pulling pressure and special quick-release air valve make it a potent tool for efficiently doing high-speed work without giving much effort to get the job done.
By deriving the power from an air compressor, it can easily screw steel rivets into the metal sheets with extraordinary precision and reduce the risk of overloading.
Thanks to the stainless-steel build for offering a great capacity and strength for severe operations by merely pulling the trigger. Its quality full long nose piece provides broad reach for riveting at different angles.
For handling aluminum-made rivets, it has five different sizes of rivets from 3/32 to 1/4-inch, which can handle a diverse range of jobs such as heavy-duty and industrial professionals like automotive, aerospace, construction, furniture, etc.
- Lightweight and comfortable to use;
- Stable and durable build;
- Excellent on all rivets sizes;
- Easily accessed narrow areas;
- Powerful and high-speed assembly operations;
- Quick-returning cylinder that ensures speedy operations;
- Suitable for the automotive, and construction industries.
- Requires regular maintenance.
5. Dorman (743-100) Hand Rivet Gun
- Smooth squeezing action;
- Single fluid pump;
- Five interchangeable nosepiece sets;
- Five different rivet sizes;
- Plastic-coated grips and long handle for better leverage;
- Has a special storage bottle to the handle to gather the rivet end;
- Limited lifetime guarantee.
Dorman (743-100) is a high-quality and budget-friendly hand rivet gun recommended to accommodate various fastener sizes immediately without facing any complications. The robust, sturdy, and decent design makes it suitable for DIY projects and home usage.
13.5 inches extended handles and single fluid pump for smooth squeezing action not only allow it to work comfortably even across longer periods but also ensure maneuvering easily on the first pump.
The rivet gun comes designed to handle multiple rivet sizes with its special rivet starter kit. The included special storage bottle attaches to the handle of the rivet gun. It makes it possible to connect rivets flawlessly with its five interchangeable nosepiece sets through the supplied handle.
- Sturdy and durable;
- Easy to use;
- Can easily handle several rivet sizes;
- Functions smoothly;
- Extended handles make the rivet driving process easier;
- Onsite storage bottle keeps rivets all in one place;
- Best for window regulator installation.
- No storage case;
- It cannot handle huge rivets.
6. Makita XVR01T Brushless Cordless Rivet Tool Kit
- Bl brushless motor;
- 10 kilonewtons pulling force;
- 25-millimeter stroke;
- Set rivets up to 3/16″ (4. 8 mm);
- 18v lithium-ion slide-style batteries;
- Transparent mandrel collector.
Designed to do various professional and domestic tasks, this Makita XVR01T brushless cordless rivet tool kit rivet guns you’ll ever work with. Easy to grip, remarkably powerful motor, superb operation, and extreme versatility make this Makita XVR01T one of a kind.
18v lithium-ion slide-style batteries and the Bl brushless motor can install or pull aluminum, steel, and stainless-steel rivets up to 3/16″ (4.8 mm). It can deliver 10kn of pulling force terms of pull, while the 25 mm stroke sets most pins in one stroke.
The ergonomic design handle also increased comfortability by holding the rivet in place, so you can turn it at whatever angle you need to set it properly. Other features such as a built-in led light on the front that lights up the area to light up a dark corner and a transparent mandrel catch container for convenient containerization viewing.
- Impressive pulling power;
- Capable of pulling aluminum, steel, and stainless steel rivets;
- Hold the pin in place;
- 12-3/8″ long Compact and ergonomic design ;
- Ergonomically designed contoured handle for increased comfort;
- Led to illuminate workspaces;
- Transparent mandrel catch container for convenient viewing of container level.
- No cons.
7. Stanley (MR100CG) Contractor Grade Riveter
- Rugged, contractor-grade die-cast metal construction;
- Uses four sizes of steel and aluminum rivets;
- Has a removable ejector spring;
- Limited lifetime warranty.
Stanley (MR100CG) is a commercial and contractor-grade riveter gun for those people who do professional riveting mainly to handle demanding stainless steel marine applications.
The eye-catching color combination of bright yellow and black has been painted on rugged and die-cast metal construction, making it resilient and durable to handle heavy-duty commercial applications, more prominent, and more extensive projects.
With this comfortable long handle, you can easily squeeze when riveting along to reach those places where other rivet guns usually can’t.
It is acceptable for a wide range of steel, aluminum, and stainless rivets, including 1/8″, 3/32″, 5/32″, and 3/16″ with which you can cover professional and small tasks. A removable ejector spring and limited lifetime warranty make it an awesome riveter to use for professional applications.
- Quick and easy to use;
- Lightweight and cost-effective;
- Robust and reliable for heavy-duty tasks;
- Long handle for easy-to-squeeze riveting;
- Provides good torque;
- Handles size rivets differently;
- Perfect with stainless steel rivets in marine applications.
- The handle is flimsy.
8. Malco 2IN1 Hand Rivet Gun
- One-hand operation;
- Replaceable jaws;
- Heavy-duty all-steel construction;
- Three different sizes of nose pieces;
- Long-stroke and quick ratchet action.
Malco is a 2-in-1 hand rivet gun that different can-do different types of rivet tasks pretty much effortlessly. It is designed and functions in a way so that users can operate it with one single hand press to set most of the regular and popular size rivets. Its 2-in-1 adjustment features are a single-long stroke for most hand riveting applications and a short ratchet action power stroke for larger diameter rivets.
The heavy-duty steel body with a stylish color combination of dark red and silver and finely polished and plated with a nickel-chrome shiny finish ensures minimum wear by making it a sturdy and very durable product.
For more convenient handling, this rivet gun model has a red vinyl cushion grip for aid comfort, a jaw-grip adjustment wheel that can be replaced when required, and a hand stop. Its professional slim nose is ideal for reaching into corners and recessed areas. Additionally, it also comes in three different sizes 1/8-inch, 5/32-inch, and 3/16-inch of nose pieces, which all are easily stored in the handle.
- Long-lasting and durable construction;
- Effortless use with just one hand;
- Comes with a hand stopper;
- Red vinyl cushion comfortable grip;
- The convenient onboard nosepiece is stored in the handle;
- Slim nose to get in compact areas;
- Delivers substantial mechanical leverage;
- Works great with larger diameter rivets.
- It takes a long time to break it in.
9. RZX 16″ Riveting Tools with Nut Setting System Hand Blind Riveter
- Carbon steel materials;
- Double compound hinges with shorter handles;
- Heavy-duty shape hand riveter;
- Nut/thread setting system;
- 11 interchangeable mandrel piece sets.
RZX 16″ riveting tools with nut setting system are known as a space saver and labor-saving hand blind riveter because of their premium features. It comes with 11 different interchangeable mandrel pieces and nut setting-up systems, which is a great choice to rivet many different kinds of nuts or screws, especially for jeep alterations.
Moreover, its 11 interchangeable head size sets also have a strong and sturdy storage case labeled with included metric and SAE size to keep all the riveting tools and guns together.
The product is designed in a heavy-duty delicate shape hand for working in hard-to-reach areas. Made up of a carbon steel body and ergonomic handles with double compound hinges make this model is durable and efficient for use.
- Versatile and powerful;
- Ergonomic handles for easy operation;
- Gives maximizing leverage;
- Working great in hard-to-reach areas;
- Best for off-road and jeep alterations;
- Vibrant and easy-to-read colored labeling;
- Excellent customer service.
- Poor instructions.
10. Astro 1423 13″ Heavy Duty Hand Riveter Gun
- Patented internal geared mechanism structure;
- Double-compound hinges 13 inches arm;
- One-piece collet case;
- full ¼ inch capacity;
- Includes five nosepieces of different sizes.
Another best and patented structured heavy-duty hand riveter from Astro pneumatic tool is Astro 1423 13″ heavy-duty hand rivet gun. Its unique internal geared mechanism, one-piece collet case, and core collection bottle for easy disposal make it a versatile and powerful hand riveter for those who want great power but little shock or recoil.
The double-compound hinges feature 13″ long handles and are much easier to use and comfortable by ensuring maximum leverage to work even in hard-to-reach areas. The more exciting news is that it is 40% shorter than other options in the market.
With its interchangeable five nose pieces such as 1/8-inch, 5/32-inch, 3/16 inch, 1/5 inch, and 1/4 inch (6.4mm) diameters rivets, you can use it with any kind of rivet or nose piece and almost any type of material steel, aluminum, and copper.
- Easy to use;
- Versatile and powerful;
- Rigid Chromoly steel jaws;
- Covers hard-to-reach areas;
- Ergonomic grip maximizes leverage;
- Works with most materials.
- Short handle;
- Not durable.
Safety Rules to Keep in Mind When Using a Rivet Gun
Before beginning to work with a rivet gun, it is significant to follow the guidelines. These guidelines could result in damage to your hand from the driver, or the driver you are working with may break. The most valuable security rules while riveting are as per the following:
- These will be most helpful in understanding the part you recently bought Before using a driver, read its separate manual.
- Never utilize a bolt firearm close to flammable or dangerous materials. A hardcore rivet gun might ignite that could start up combustible materials.
- Wear basic protective gear with hand, eye, and face insurance. Wellness work gloves and safety goggles are unquestionable requirements.
- Never point a bolt at an animal, person, or yourself. Assuming that the gun has started, a living animal can support truly dangerous or dangerous wounds.
What is the Right Size of the Rivet?
When choosing the rivet size, consult and examine the clip’s diameter that you will be riveting should be at least three times the thickness of the objects for being fastened.
Does My Riveter Need Any Servicing?
To keep your rivet gun in excellent working condition and optimal performance, it should have required regular inspection and service by a trained person. Regular maintenance ensures proper operation by helping the tool in a suitable condition and preventing expensive repairs.
Can a Rivet be Reused?
No, after riveting, most rivets end up broken, cut, or destroyed.
What is a Rivet Gun Great For?
A rivet gun, otherwise called a rivet hammer or pneumatic sled, is a type of hardware used to drive rivets. Those guns used to run rivets in primary steel are very large and are held in one hand by hand used in aircraft.
Before working with a rivet gun, consider choosing the right riveter according to the specific tasks you need it for, according to your job scenario, and what rivet sizes you will have to work with.
Considering our points and our buying guide, as mentioned earlier, will help you to choose the right rivet gun by allowing you to work efficiently and effortlessly.
You Might Also Like:
About This Writer
Hello, I am David Rowan. I am a professional contractor with 10 years of experience in home building, different tools used, construction, home remodeling, and other home improvement work. I have already built many custom homes and continued to do several woodworking projects along with how to deal with all categories of tools.