As a camping enthusiast, it is your duty to know all the basic rules of camping. One of those is definitely protecting the environment.
Whether you are an old fellow or just stepped into the wild world of camping, we are going to discuss some of the absolute must things regarding camping for you. You should strictly follow those rules in order to save your surroundings from getting damaged.
Excited to know more? Just scroll down till the end and you will get some really important tips.
10 Best Ways to Look After the Environment When Camping
For having a soul-searching camping journey, we must protect our environmental balance. Otherwise, we will not be able to take pleasure in the beauty and purity of the landscapes anymore.
It does not require a ton of effort to save the environment while camping. Below we have listed the 10 best tips to follow on a camping trip. Let’s dive into the details.
1. Packing Eco-Friendly Things
While packing for your next camping trip, do not include something harmful for mother nature.
Take camping gears that are safe for the environment. Please remember that high-costing equipment is not always good for nature. Instead reusing the same gears is more earth-friendly.
You should only go for the products that have the lowest impact on the environment. Avoiding that can be detrimental to mother earth.
2. Camping in the Selected Areas Only
We know that off-road camping sounds cool and more adventurous. But have you ever thought of the consequences?
There are some designated areas for camping. Those are the safest areas for you. Also, camping in those areas will do the least harm to the environment.
These spots are selected judging by their durability, safety, eco-friendliness, and so on.
So don’t ruin nature by camping anywhere.
3. Disposing of the Trash
Be sure to dispose of the trash properly. It is a vital rule you should not violate by any means.
We suggest carrying trash bags and collecting all the trash in those bags. Please don’t leave the trash on the campsite.
It would be highly appreciated if you separate the biodegradable and non-biodegradable products. Please never dispose of them in the lakes or streams.
4. Being Quiet
We know you are on a campsite to enjoy. But it is not necessary to always make noises, especially at night.
There are a lot of wild animals. So how can you disturb their regular life by making the camping party a party?
This may seem difficult. But being quiet while camping is one of the best things you can do to protect wildlife.
5. Taking Back All the Food and Cans
The next tip for you as a sensible camper is not to leave any food behind. You should even take back each and every box and can also.
You are not the only camper. If you leave any food waste and boxes on the site, it will make the place untidy and unhealthy for the other campers.
Besides, some human food is pretty harmful to animals. If you don’t clear them up properly, it may take the life of some wildlife.
Also, pack some ideal food that will not be scattered while having them.
6. Considering Fire Safety
Fire is, of course, an integral part of any camping trip. Be it for cooking food or for making your nights more adventurous.
But if it goes wrong, it can take your life. Also, a bit of carelessness may cause a big disaster for wildlife.
So, always maintain some precautions while starting a fire. Avoid the places where it is banned. Try to create a fire ring. The most important thing is to supervise the fire properly before leaving. Please leave the place after the flames are completely out.
We would earnestly request you avoid all the fire-prone spots.
7. Avoiding Hunting
One of the cruelest things humans do while camping is hunting wild animals.
According to environmentalists, a lot of people go camping with a view to hunting.
The stats are pretty frightening. A study conducted in 2016 shows that 3.54% of the total population of the USA is involved in hunting.
If this percentage continues to go up, many more wild lives will be taken and mother nature will lose her balance.
How cruel humans can be when taking the life of an innocent wild creation? Sometimes they destroy nature by cutting trees and burning fires.
While camping you should not take any step that takes the lives of the wild creatures or destroys their habitations.
8. Taking No Cooking Food
We have already discussed how harmful fire can be to the environment. So a fire-free campsite would be your best contribution to protecting nature.
But what about food? You need to eat right?
Well, then what about some no-cooking food?
Try to pack the items you can cook at home and carry them or you can eat directly without cooking. Boiled eggs, sandwiches, salad, pancakes, oats, etc. are some healthy and wise options.
Also, try to avoid so many packages. Rather opt for reusable jars. Furthermore, avoiding plastic water bottles is highly beneficial for your health and environmental safety as well.
9. Not Feeding the Animals
You are already aware of the fact that many human foods can be poisonous to animals. So do not feed them to wild animals just for fun or out of curiosity.
Wild animals are the biggest part of the ecosystem. Do not harm them by giving them food that can cause them death.
10. Not Leaving Any Trace
From our several years of camping experiences, we urge you to leave no trace behind.
Always remember that your footprints should be the only marks found on the camping site. No other things. Not the initials of your name on the tree. Not a memorable quote on the rock.
An eco-friendly traveler and camper should leave the site as it was before. This is possibly the best way to look after the environment on a camping trip.
To Minimize Carbon Footprint When Camping
1. Choose your camping location wisely. Look for camping sites near public transportation where you can easily access amenities.
2. Use reusable items instead of disposable ones. Bring reusable plates, cups, utensils, and other camping items to reduce the waste you create.
3. Bring eco-friendly energy sources. Solar panels and LED lanterns are great for powering up the outdoors and saving energy.
4. Cook meals over a campfire. A campfire is a great way to cook meals and also minimize energy consumption.
5. Choose eco-friendly toiletries. Try to find biodegradable soaps and shampoos that will break down in nature and not pollute the environment.
6. Use a reusable water bottle. Carry a reusable water bottle instead of buying bottled water and help reduce plastic consumption.
7. Bring biodegradable garbage bags. It’s important to leave no trace when camping and using biodegradable garbage bags can help with that.
8. Don’t drive if you don’t have to. Try to walk or bike to nearby destinations to reduce your carbon footprint.
Best Ways to Conserve Energy When Camping
1. Use LED lights or solar-powered lights instead of traditional electric lights.
2. Utilize solar ovens or stoves to cook food.
3. Use a solar charger to charge phones and other devices.
4. Use reusable dishes and utensils instead of disposable options.
5. Use a reusable water bottle instead of buying bottled water.
6. Pack light and use a smaller tent.
7. Use a cooler instead of a refrigerator.
8. Make sure to switch off all lights and devices when not in use.
9. Try to use natural resources like firewood and solar energy whenever possible.
10. Try to camp in more remote locations, away from civilization and its energy demands.
Camping is a soulful experience, no doubt. It brings a lot of enjoyment. But isn’t it our responsibility to take care of the environment as well which offers us such pleasures?
So be a discreet traveler. Do not only take care of yourself, your family and friends, or your stuff while camping. Instead take responsibility for looking after our mother nature as well.
If every camper tries 100% to protect the environment and the ecosystem, our planet will remain harm-free and evergreen. No damage or imbalance would affect the ecosphere. What more could you want as a wild adventure lover, isn’t it?
- What Are the Best Outdoor Storage Cabinets
- Analysis of the Best Tent for Full Time Living
- Best Outdoor Cooling (Misting) Fans to Stay Cool
About This Writer
Guys, I am Camila Avery and I love to help my mom to do indoor & outdoor activities. As a lady, I have passed my time on gardening, home improvement, and personal or self-care. I have acquired some degrees in outdoor recreation, beauty, and hair care. It is not easy to work with top-level professional beauty experts. But, I got that opportunity and experimented with different hair extensions, hair colors, and cuts.